Friday, December 15, 2006

12.14.06, 12:20pm – CTS Offices, Chennai, India.

Well, my network connection is down, so it’s a good opportunity to write another entry. Unfortunately, the connection went down right in the middle of an IM session with Christen. How rude. I hate conversations that end abruptly when I’m half a world away.

I just interviewed my first candidate. He was pretty strong technically. He gave me some hope that maybe we will be able to replace Joseph (the current NI WinRunner guru) if and when we lose him.

One strange cultural thing here is when people are agreeing with you, or making generally affirmative body language, they shake their head back and forth. It’s almost looks like the western “no” head shake but it’s more of a side-to-side motion with the top of the head. It’s as if they are trying to touch their ear to their shoulder, then the other ear to the other shoulder. But not so extreme. More like little shakes side to side. It was hard to get used to, but once I remembered their culture does this to mean “yes” I calmed down. “Why are these guys shaking their heads at me? What could they possibly be disagreeing with? Do what I say!” Ok, just kidding on that last one.

Nothing new to report on the jetlag front. I managed to sleep until 3:30 this morning. I guess it’s getting better. I really should’ve brought some melatonin or something. I even read about it on Lauren’s blog and still forgot to buy some. I guess I could check to see if they have it in any stores here.

I tried the Chinese restaurant in the basement of the hotel. That was the spiciest Szechuan Chicken I’ve ever had. It sure was good though. I tried the rooftop bar last night. Nice views. It was packed so I didn’t get served after waiting about 5 minutes, so I just left. It was 10pm and I was tired anyway.

I wandered around in front of the hotel this morning before my driver showed up. I tried to take some good pictures of the crazy traffic and the scene around the hotel. It was hard to do. I felt like such a western tourist. I suppose I should just suck it up and act like a tourist for 10 minutes to get the good pics. I don’t know what the camera culture is here. This isn’t the culture that thinks cameras steal your soul, is it? I can’t remember. I’ll ask Girish.

The street in front of the hotel in a quieter moment

I’m hoping to get a tour of the city and some shopping, etc from the Navis India guys this weekend. I need to send an email and coordinate that.

Big step today…I told my driver not to come back until 5pm. That means I’ll be eating a meal outside of my hotel. Or I’ll eat the Clif Bar in my backpack (weak). There’s a restaurant in the ground floor of my building. Maybe I’ll try that.

I’m going to go check and see what Ram and Senthil are doing for lunch.

More later.

---Eric

No comments: